Friday, January 16, 2009

What was I thinking?

I have apparently lost my mind. Today I let my flight to Washington, D.C. take off without me. Several of my girlfriends, Antonia, Dawn, Loretta, Debra - who knows who else was riding the American skies at 9:45 this morning. I keep going over in my head - why are you not at the airport?

Well, let me see... let's try my pocket book (yes, that is a thing women use) was a tad too light to hit the road. Yes, it would have been a business trip but the coffers were looking a little sad this past week, so I opted, for the first time ever in my life, to keep my happy "a.." home. Be a sensible "girl" and miss one of the most important events in my life history - the inauguration of the first black president. For me, this is a historic moment; yes, I really do have a ticket and a place to stay, I have just opted to work on my business plan.

With that said, I need to find out what all is going on here on the home front that may be palatable to those of us who, for whatever reason, did not take the journey to D.C.

The Adrienne Arsht Center presents a Television Simulcast of the Presidential Inauguration of Barack Obama. So if you are not headed to D.C., join me and our neighbors to view this historic event which is free to our community - for details visit ArshtCenter.org

I would be remiss if I failed to let you know the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau has brought back Miami Spice - this time it is Winter Style - over 50 restaurants have signed up to engage your dining senses - please support your local restaurants, 3-course meals are running $23 for lunch and $36 for dinner - what a great way to spend an evening - on a budget, enjoying the company of friends and family. Visit I Love Miami Spice for a listing of participating spots.
__________________________________________________________________
The Sound Scene

Jan. 22nd
Wynton Marsalis - 8 pm
Arsht Center’s Knight Concert Hall
Call 305.949.6722 - Select above link for ticket info.

Jan. 23 – Arsht Center
The Four Tops and The Temptations
for ticket information visit: ArshtCenter.Org

Feb. 20 –
Tribute to Ella & Basie featuring the Count Basie Orchestra & Patti Austin - 8 pm
Arsht Center’s Knight Concert Hall
The exciting Jazz Roots series produced by Larry Rosen continues to charm Miami audiences.
www.ArshtCenter.Org/Basie

Feb. 14
Nicole Henry - 8 pm
10th Annual "Moonlight & Music Valentine's Day Concert
The Deering Estate invites you to hear the lovely sounds of Nicole Henry will delight guests with a mix of jazz and romantic classics. Tickets are $20; you may bring blankets, lawn chairs and picnic baskets. No coolers are permitted. Limited refreshments and food will be available for an additional fee. Gate opens at 7:00 pm, concert begins at 8:00 pm.
Call 305-235-1668 ext. 233. Valentine's Day Concert
__________________________________________________________________
Community Connections
Jan. 24
The 20th Annual Zora Neale Hurston Festival
Featuring Morris Day & The Time
Eatonville (Orange County), Florida
For more info, visit: ZoraNealeHurstonFestival

Feb. 14 – 7-11 pm
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., invites you to Rubies & PearlsA Night of Hidden Treasures on Sun Dream Yacht Charters, Catalina
Tickets - $85. Call 954.522.2840; email redandwhite09@gmail.com
__________________________________________________________________
Weekly Happenings

Sundays
Miami
Mahogany Grille - 7-11pm
Blues with These Nuts and Them Bones

Hollywood
Re-coup Sundays – 3-10 pm
Nikki Marina, 3660 South Ocean Drive
Cabana reservations: 305.761.2929

Tuesdays – 7 -10 pm
Weston
Wine Me Down – a Louis Oliver production
Libation Wine Bar, 1722 Main St., Weston Town Center

Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays
Ft. Lauderdale
Christine’s – Live Jazz 6-11 pm
2671 East Oakland Park, 954.566.1919

Fridays/Saturdays
Aventura
Donna Allen with pianist/vocalist
Mike Vidovich – 8 pm
Prezzo’s Restaurant & Martini Bar
Loehmann’s Shopping Plaza, 18831 Biscayne Blvd
305.931.5775

No comments: