Wednesday, December 24, 2008


I love watching Oprah when she talks about her favorite things; I like that show so much, I said why not go with the highest form of flattery? Copy Oprah! So today, we have Robbie's favorite things. This list is one of things to buy, do or, of course, eat.

Things to lift your spirits:
I'm having a Grammy moment: "First, giving honor to God..." I want to give praise to my spiritual leader, the Rev. Dr. Mary Tumpkin and the Universal Truth Center; if you need your spirits lifted, this is the place to be; if you really want to work on you, this is the place to be. This is the place that has helped me become me. I invite you to get a spirit lift, not just for the holiday but everyday, visit www.utruthcenter.org. Be sure to tell Rev. Mary that Robbie sent you.

Things to soothe your body:
Run, don't walk, to Yellow Moon Day Spa. While Dominque and Shantelle take care of your manicure needs, the Foot Master (and that is truly what they call him and it speaks volumes to to what he does), Rick Spence will do his magic on your feet. I have no words for the magic this man can work; you walk out feeling better, lighter and pampered.

Rick is offering a mani/pedi special (normally $45 & $15) to GoToRobbieBell fans for $50. Just tell him Robbie sent you.

The Arts - things to do and buy:
*A gift certificate or membership to Diaspora Vibe Gallery- over the next few days Curator Rosie Gordon-Wallace has made big plans to offer you the fine jewelry and great art at wonderful prices. What a treat to go holiday shopping in an art gallery.
*Always a great gift to give is a membership to the Miami Art Museum (MAM).
Get invited to all the great things the gallery and the museum have to offer during the year

Shopping
Bagua - my absolute favorite place to shop for gifts for my "birthday club" members or just beautiful things for any occassion, including things for me.
So-Mi (2775 Northeast 187th Street, suite 2)- a lovely little boutique tucked away in Aventura. The owner, Miriam, aims to please; do tell her that Robbie sent you - I see a Go To Robbie Bell event at So-Mi in the very near future, stay tuned.

Things to buy and eat:
Catering by Maribel creates my favorite cake, Honey's Luscious Lemon pound cake - when I tell you it is "Scrumpterou®" trust me, it is simply delish! Call Maribel Fernandez-Dillon at 954-931-4555 or write Maribel@CateringbyMaribel.net.
Kimesha Wing is the woman behind the scenes at Taylor Made Cookies and these things take over where Lays left off - I bet you can't eat just one, go ahead, try it. My favorite: red velvet cookie sandwich, chocolate chip, Mexican wedding cookie (with pistachio & cranberries) and upon request the chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips. Call Kimesha at 786.252.3563 or write sales@taylormadecookies.com

Okay, so you are out shopping and you need to stop and replenish yourself, where do you go?

Chez Porky's Restaurant (BBQ & Louisiana Kitchen) - I don't know where you live but this is so worth the ride - Tom Douglas makes the best barbecued shrimp ever!!! Chez Porky's is in Pompano Beach, and I have been eating there for more than 10-years. All my friends know that I drive for food when the food is serious - make that seriously good. I have submitted Tom's place to Guy's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and hope Guy Fieri makes his way there; like I said, it is so worth the drive. 105 Southwest 6th St., Pompano Beach, 954.946.5590.

Since I started north I am just going to drive you back down south, stopping along the way at my favorite food spots. You don't have to travel to far from Tom's place to hit Christine's (2671 E. Oakland Park Blvd. 954-566-1919) a Ft. Lauderdale supper club and one of the few places to catch jazz while enjoying a lovely evening. Feel the need to get closer to Miami? head to Aventura: you cannot go wrong with Prezzo's. (Loehmann's Shopping Plaza). It is a great watering hole, dining venue and weekend entertainment spot. One of my favorite people, and chef is Kal Abdala, because he consistently serves up good food and solid entertainment having Donna Allen making soulful sounds on the weekends. Okay, get back on I-95 and head to Miami's Design District - you already know where I am sending you: Michael's Genuine (Chef Michael Schwartz - 130 NE 40th St. - 305.573.5550) my favorite to-die-for dish? Pork belly served on a bed of kimchee -- need I say more? Well, one more very important thing: Michael's they serve til 12. Buena Vista Bistro (Callie & Claude, 4582 NE 2nd Ave. 305-456-5909). These two establishments are as different as night and day in ambiance, food and style; one upscale, chic but still affordable and the other, a neighborhood place that you are welcome when you "come as you are". You can't go wrong with either. You say you live south? Then head on over to Jamaica Kitchen. I can't promise you can eat in (tiny counter space) but I guarantee you will enjoy fabulous Jamaican Chinese food - be sure to try the curried goat! (8736 SW 72nd St., Mia - 305.596.2585).

Every place I have named above, relevant to food, is definitely on "The Scrumpterou Report"

No comments: